Olive Oil and Health
CONCLUSIONS FROM THE 3RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON OLIVE OIL, THE OLIVE AND HEALTH
In 2018, the 3rd International conference on olive oil, olives and health took place in Spain. Some of the conclusions are presented below:
- Virgin olive oil is the main ingredient and the most characteristic element of the Mediterranean diet but also a very high quality food tool in preventive medicine.
- Diets that are enriched with olive oil contribute to the reduction of body mass to a greater extent compared to those of low fat and low carbohydrates. It is enough to use 2-3 tablespoons daily in food and not to take it through pharmaceutical preparations.
- Virgin olive oil contributes to the reduction of blood pressure
- Virgin olive oil contributes to better cardiovascular function due to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant action of its phenolic components, especially in the oxidation of LDL
- Studies have shown that virgin olive oil helps prevent postmenopausal breast and colon cancer.
- Epidemiological studies have shown that a diet with olive oil as the main source of fat works preventively for various forms of cancer.
- Other studies have shown the anti-inflammatory effect of olive oil in autoimmune diseases. Finally, the consumption of olive oil helps in the prevention and treatment of various immune inflammations.
OLIVE OIL AND COVID-19
A study done by the University of Jaen in Spain showed that when olive oil is incorporated into our diet, it has a protective effect against viruses that try to damage our immune system. Even consuming olive oil reduces inflammation caused by pathogenic microorganisms, strengthening the immune system especially of immunocompromised patients.